Wednesday 8 May 2013

Lauryn Hill: Slavery Made Me Do It


On Tuesday, The Grapevine Crew told you about Lauryn being sentenced to 3 months jail time before she completes her 3 months house arrest and 9 months supervised release. What we DIDN'T tell you was her 'reason' for failing to pay taxes on more than $2 million in earnings during a five year period. Get this - slavery was behind it all. Standing in federal court, Lauryn compared her experience in the industry to the slavery her ancestors endured. 

I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them, I had an economic system imposed on me ... Someone did the math and it came to around $600 million. And I sit here before you trying to figure out how to pat a tax debt? If that's not like enough to slavery, I don't know.

But don't worry - she's fighting the white man for her freedom!
I’ve been fighting for existential and economic freedom, which means the freedom to create and live without someone threatening, controlling, and/or manipulating the art and the artist, by tying the purse strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment